Did you know that more than half of all accidental house fires start in the kitchen? To keep you and your family safe, here are DCMD Electric’s top tips for staying safe in the kitchen:
To avoid water coming into contact with electricity make sure sockets are fitted at least 30cm away from your sink.
Appliances such as fridges, dishwashers and washing machines should ideally be controlled by a switched fuse connection on the worktop where you can reach it easily.
Don’t use switches with wet hands.
Never leave washing machines or dishwashers unattended.
Regularly check the condition of leads on items such as kettles and toasters.
Don’t try to repair an appliance whilst it’s still plugged in.
Keep your oven and grill clean to reduce the likelihood of a fire.
Check your plug sockets aren’t overloaded.
Avoid storing items on top of your microwave as it can block ventilation.
Make sure you have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
If you have any concerns about safety in your kitchen get in touch, we’d be happy to give you some advice.