Consumer Unit (Fuse Board) Upgrades and Replacements
DCMD Electrics are specialists at upgrading and replacing consumer units - also known as fuse boards or fuse boxes - for our customers in and around Milton Keynes. To help you get a bit more in-the-know about the topic, here's our mini guide to fuse boards:
What are fuse boards?
Your fuse board controls the electrics in your property. You have electrical circuits around your property and the fuse board acts as the main hub, connecting these with your electricity meter and providing each circuit with power and protection.
The main elements in a fuse board are:
- A main switch
- Residual Current Devices (RCDs)
- Fuses (or Miniature Circuit Breakers - MCBs - in new fuseboxes). Providing protection against:
- Overloading and short circuiting
- Damage to electrical equipment and cabling
Dangers of a faulty/outdated fuse board
- Risk of fire
- Electric shocks
- Damage to cables
- Damage to electrical equipment
Check your fusebox
It's important to check your fuse box is working properly and doesn't need upgrading/replacing. Here's a checklist of things to look out for:
- All fuseboxes should have a main switch, fuses and/or circuit breakers.
- Your fuse box should NOT have a wooden back, cast iron switches or what looks like a mix of different fuseboxes.
- If your circuit-breakers trip or fuses regularly blow, then it’s worth getting them checked by a registered electrician.
- Your fuse board should meet the current BS 7671 regulations.
Need a hand?
Please get in touch about our fuse board electrician services in Milton Keynes:
- For a free, no obligation quote
- For fuse board advice
- To book to have your fuse board checked, upgraded or replaced.
As always, our fuse board services are competitively priced and carried out quickly by an experienced, qualified electrician.