Electrical safety obligations for landlords
By law, landlords must ensure electrical installations and wiring are maintained in a safe condition throughout a tenancy. If you ignore your obligations as a landlord you are at risk of:
- fines of up to £20,000
- invalidating your insurance
- putting your tenants at risk of serious injury, or even death. (Electrical accidents cause more than 350,000 serious injuries each year and more than half of all accidental house fires.)
What are you required to do?
- The electrical installation must be safe at the start of a tenancy and maintained in a safe condition during the tenancy.
- Periodic inspections and tests:
- Carried out at least every 5 years by a registered electrician
- This is a legal requirement for a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO). It is recommended, but not legally required, for all other rental properties.
- All appliances must be safe and have at least the CE marking
How should you do this?
- Carry out regular basic, visual safety checks yourself
- Make sure your property has adequate RCD protection
- Use a registered electrician for all works
- Conduct regular safety checks on electrical appliances as part of your rental agreement
Our most popular landlord services:
- Landlord certification
- Fault finding and repairs
- PAT testing
- Electrical test certificates
- Electrical installation condition reports
- Part and full rewires
Need an electrician's help in Milton Keynes?
Electrical Safety First have great resources for landlords >
As an experienced, registered electrician, we're trusted by landlords across Milton Keynes and surrounding areas. Whether you just need to meet the legal requirements, or want to make improvements to your rental properties, we can help.
Get in touch with any questions, for advice, or to arrange a free quote for an electrical safety test or any other work required.